Even though the paperback edition of Hurricane Gold isn’t due for release until the 28th of May, Charlie Higson’s fourth Young James Bond novel is hitting the UK in a big way with an all-new very special edition…
Hurricane Gold Hits The UK
Hurricane Gold by Charlie Higson
Published in paperback on 28th May, price £6.99
The new Charlie Higson paperback, Hurricane Gold, will be launched with all the style and action you might expect from James Bond: the unveiling of a dazzling 24-carat gold book, a unique programme of activity events in bookstores, an exciting preview of the next book in the series and an extensive signing tour for the bestselling author.
In a first in publishing history, a unique 24-carat Gold Book has been specially commissioned by Puffin to mark publication. The artefact, made by renowned British ‘jeweller to the stars’ Theo Fennell, will become an attraction in the Imperial War Museum’s sell-out exhibition For Your Eyes Only: Ian Fleming and James Bond, and will also be the star of Puffin’s advertising campaign for the paperback. It will be unveiled at the Imperial War Museum on the 20th May at a photocall with Charlie Higson and Theo Fennell.
Hurricane Gold is the fourth book in the ‘Young Bond’ series aimed at 10-14 year olds, which has sold nearly three-quarters of a million copies to date. Following a young James Bond through a series of adventures, the series was commissioned by Ian Fleming Publications, and the paperback is published on the 100th anniversary of Ian Fleming’s birth. The
paperback features an extract from the hotly anticipated next Young Bond book, By Royal Command, and artwork from the forthcoming graphic novel of the first book SilverFin.
Hurricane Gold is the first Young Bond adventure set entirely away from Eton, on the island of Lagrimas Negras in Mexico. It features young James battling against evil criminals and on the trail of ancient Mayan treasure. The gold book takes its inspirations from the rumoured treasure in the story
and was designed, hand-made and crafted in Theo Fennell’s studios in London. The book opens up to reveal an inner compartment with an inlay of ebonised wood, containing a very special secret note from Charlie Higson.
Puffin also announces a series of signing sessions, talks and quizzes with Charlie Higson in bookstores and literary festivals across the UK. Details are at the end of this release.
‘Young Bond Mini Adventures’ will also be available in four Waterstone’s stores across the country. Young Bond Mini Adventures give the opportunity for Young Bond fans to take part in a range of exciting in-store activities befitting would-be secret agents, from experiencing alpine skiing via high-tech simulators, training for the rockface on a climbing wall, learning sleight of hand from one of the UK’s leading magicians, and even having a go at a casino roulette table!
Charlie Higson will be appearing at:
- Saturday 24th May 11.00am – Young Bond talk and signing at the Imperial War Museum, London SE1. Tickets £5 Booking line: 020 7416 5439
- Wednesday 28th May 2.30pm – Young Bond talk and signing at the Guardian Hay Festival, Hay on Wye
- Thursday 29th May 11.30am – Signing session at Waterstone’s, The Galleries, Bristol. Plus ‘Young Bond Mini Adventures’ activities in-store
- Friday 30th May 11.30am – Signing session at Borders, Norwich
- Saturday 31st May 12.30pm – Signing session at Waterstone’s, Milton Keynes. Plus ‘Young Bond Mini Adventures’ activities in store
- Friday 6th June 4.30pm – Signing session at W H Smith, Arndale Centre, Manchester
- Tuesday 10th June 7.00pm – ‘Writing Bond’ panel discussion chaired by author and journalist Ben Macintyre. Tickets £15, concessions £12 Booking line: 020 7416 5439
- Sunday 15th June 11.00am – Father’s Day Bond Quiz at Richmond Library, Little Green, Richmond
- Saturday 21st June – Borders Book Festival, Melrose, Scotland
- Friday 18th July – Theakstons Old Peculier Crimewriting Festival, Harrogate, Yorkshire
Keep watching CommanderBond.net for all the latest Hurricane Gold and Young Bond-related news.