Swedish news-site, vlt.se has revealed more details about Casino Royale, the 21st James Bond film due to start production in early ’06, from director Martin Campbell’s Legend of Zorro press conference in Paris on Monday.
Casino Royale director Martin Campbell
Besides confirming the information that appeared on the Club 007 France website yesterday [see CBn story], Campbell added that not only is Pierce Brosnan not Bond in the new film, but he specifically stated that recent rumours about Brosnan being a “back-up” in case they fail to find someone else are wrong. “Because it’s a young Bond, we need a young actor,” said Campbell. He added that recent reports claiming Sienna Miller is signed as the leading lady are also bogus.
Campbell also shot down rumours that any big name stars are in the running to play 007. “That has been wrongful speculation,” said Campbell. “Everybody must realize that it’s almost impossible to persuade an actor who already has a successful film career to sign the dotted line. The contract is for a three-picture-deal.”
The director then revealed some juicy plot information. The new film will largely be based on the original Ian Fleming novel, with “the second half of the novel pretty much intact.” The film will be “a mixture of the novel’s down-to-earth realism and the traditional Bond film gadget-extravaganza.”
As to the James Bond series regulars, Campbell confirmed Judi Dench is back as ‘M’ and John Cleese as ‘Q’, but Samantha Bond will not be returning as Miss Moneypenny. Bond told reporters last year that she would not return without co-star Pierce Brosnan.
Campbell also confirmed CBn’s report that the production has moved from South Africa to The Bahamas. Campbell then added that while the bulk of studio work will be done in Prague, at least a few days will be spent at Pinewood shooting on the Albert R. Broccoli 007 Stage.
“There are some traditions you can’t depart from,” says Campbell.