The title of an upcoming Bond film is always anticipated and the same goes for Bond 20. Also anticipated is the fact that the title won’t be the Attack Of The Clones nor Final Assignment. Forum user ‘Praetorian’ has written this speculative piece in the Bond 20 Forums, and as a beginning let us take a look at some of the rules of a James Bond title.
- A person’s name (e.g., Goldfinger, Dr No, Octopussy, The Man With The Golden Gun);
- The name of a thing – usually with military implications (e.g., Goldeneye, Moonraker, Thunderball);
- A government phrase (e.g., Licence to Kill, For Your Eyes Only, O.H.M.S.S.);
- A witty play on a famous catch phrase (e.g., Live and Let Die, You Only Live Twice)
- An invented phrase (Diamonds Are Forever, Tomorrow Never Dies, The Spy Who Loved Me, From Russia With Love).
And of course there are the more common words to look out for,
You will have no doubt noticed that certain words pervade Bond titles: “love”, “die”, “live” or “living”, “never”, “kill”, “You or Your”, “For” (whether by itself or in “Forever”).
Finally there’s popular speculation that Bond 20 will have a single word title. This theory is based on both Connery and Moore’s fourth outings (no one else made it this far) which were respectively Thunderball and Moonraker. And while two films don’t gaurntee anything in reality, the most popular choice around the Bond 20 Forums seems to be Shatterhand (coming of course from the Fleming novels).
Feel free to post your own speculation in the Bond 20 Forums. Try this thread in which Praetorian first made his post. See you there!