EA Games announced today what up until now EA and Bond fans have called “GoldenEye 2”. GoldenEye: Rogue Agent will not be a sequel to the N64 1997 hit game GoldenEye, nor will it feature 007 as its main character. Instead, the first-person shooter will feature a dismissed double-O agent who takes on a series of memorable James Bond villains from the past. The game is due for release November 1, 2004.
The following press release comes from EA Games.
REDWOOD CITY, Calif., May 5, 2004 – Why save the world when you can rule it? Going where no previous James Bond game has dared to tread, the upcoming GoldenEye: Rogue Agent first-person shooter from Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: ERTS) breaks all the rules by transporting players to the dark side of the Bond universe to experience life as a high-rolling, cold-hearted villain. The highly anticipated game is scheduled to ship this fall on the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system, the Xbox video game system from Microsoft, and the Nintendo GameCube under the EA GAMES brand.
As an aspiring 00 agent dismissed from MI6 for reckless brutality, the player is hired as an enforcer by Auric Goldfinger, the wealthy super-villain with a lust for all things gold. Goldfinger is locked in a ruthless war against his archenemy, the brilliant scientist Dr. No. The prize is control of the world’s greatest criminal organization. A brutal encounter with Dr. No costs the player an eye, but Goldfinger’s technicians replace it with a gold-hued, synthetic eye, earning the player the name ‘GoldenEye’. Players have the ability to customize and upgrade their villain persona and wreak havoc as they make their unrelenting rise through the ranks.
With a radical twist to the Bond franchise that makes the player’s goal to rule the world rather than save it, GoldenEye: Rogue Agent is the ultimate thrill ride through the 007 underworld. Players will cross paths with such legendary allies and enemies as Oddjob, Scaramanga, Xenia Onatopp, and, of course, Pussy Galore on globe-spanning missions of vengeance and demolition. Players will travel to famous and original Bond locations from the mountains of Switzerland to the streets of Hong Kong and from Fort Knox to Dr. No’s Crab Key lair in the Caribbean. Enemies will react intelligently in combat situations and use the environment to their advantage for intense and unpredictable shootouts.
GoldenEye: Rogue Agent seamlessly integrates single-player, multiplayer split-screen, and online gameplay for the PlayStation 2 console* across all game modes. Featured modes include story-driven campaign missions, deathmatch style simulator trials, and objective-based war games. Officially licensed by MGM Interactive, GoldenEye: Rogue Agent is being developed by EA’s Los Angeles studio. This game has not yet been rated by the ESRB.
*PlayStation 2 online play requires Internet connection, Network Adaptor and Memory Card for the PlayStation 2.
- Build your own personalized villain, equipped with a customizable synthetic eye and physical attributes.
- E.V.I.L. AI engine motivates enemies to react intelligently to your actions and their surroundings to make every shootout more believable, intense, and unpredictable.
- GoldenEye: Rogue Agent integrates single-player, multiplayer split-screen, and online gameplay for the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system across all game modes.
- Featured game modes include story-based campaign missions, deathmatch style simulator trials, and objective-based team war games.
- Fight with and against legendary villains and Bond girls such as Oddjob, Dr. No, Goldfinger, Pussy Galore, and Xenia Onatopp.
- Travel to famous and original Bond locations from the mountains of Switzerland to the streets Hong Kong and from Fort Knox to Dr. No’s Crab Key lair in the Caribbean.
- Production design by Academy Award winning Sir Ken Adam, visionary creator for the look of the Bond film universe.
- Character models from Rene Morel (Final Fantasy film) and wardrobe designed by Kym Barrett (Matrix films, Titan A.E.)