While the cinematic 007 and Aston Martin seem to go hand in hand, this won’t be the case for the upcoming centenary James Bond novel, Devil May Care, by Sebastian Faulks.
According to a report from the Telegraph, Faulks will be putting James Bond back behind the wheel of a Bentley. ‘Despite many of the films portraying him with an Aston Martin, Bond’s first choice of car was a Bentley, so that is what he will be driving in my book,’ the author said.
‘He also spends quite a lot of time abroad on his adventure, so in want of a hire car, which wouldn’t really befit James, he will also have a driver at his disposal.’
Faulks also revealed that the car would be ‘battleship grey’–the same colour of the supercharged Bentley 4 1/2-Litre convertible featured in Ian Fleming’s Casino Royale.
James Rosenstein, Bentley’s global director of external affairs, said: ‘It is wonderful that somebody has decided to go back to the roots of the original book, to Ian Fleming’s own tastes and to James Bond’s passion for the cars.’ He also mentioned that car could be a 1967 T-series Bentley.
As previously mentioned by Faulks, Devil May Care is set in 1967 when ‘Bond is damaged, aging and in a sense it is the return of the gunfighter for one last heroic mission.’ The novel’s action is played out over two continents and ‘several of the world’s most thrilling cities’ including Paris.
- Pre-order the US hardback edition of Devil May Care from Amazon.com
- Pre-order the US audiobook edition of Devil May Care from Amazon.com
Devil May Care is due for release in May 2008 and will be published by Penguin in the UK and Doubleday in the US.
Keep watching CBn for all the latest literary James Bond news.
- Sebastian Faulks Talks ‘Devil May Care’
- ‘Devil May Care’ Available To Pre-order At Amazon
- Pre-order The ‘Devil May Care’ U.S. Audiobook
- Paris Revealed As A Location In ‘Devil May Care’
- Penguin Planning A Celebration Of 007 In 2008
- Sebastian Faulks To Continue James Bond Where Ian Fleming Left Off
- James Bond To Return In ‘Devil May Care’ By Sebastian Faulks
- New Adult James Bond Novel Coming in 2008